More About Our Bookstore Titles
We carry books mainly from Tibetan Buddhism, and especially from the Gelugpa tradition. We do have some texts from the Nyingma and Kagyü traditions as well. If you don't know what those names mean, don't worry - we were all beginners once, and we all still feel like it once in a while, too. Our bookshelves are divided into several categories and arranged alphabetically by author in each category to make it as easy as possible to find the book you.re looking for (if an author has written multiple books, they are then kept alphabetically according to title). Our categories include:
- New & Noteworthy - these books are either new releases or are suggested or required readings for teachings - usually either our Monday night Discovering Buddhism series or our Sunday morning teachings by Geshe Gelek. Get more info on new books here.
- Introductory books - just as the name implies these books are the perfect place for those who are new to Buddhism to start. If you're not sure which of the many books on this shelf would be good for you, just ask any member, we'll be happy to make a suggestion.
- Meditation books - obviously, this is a major part of practicing Tibetan Buddhism, and we can all use more help in understanding the techniques and purposes of calming our minds through the art of just sitting.
- Books by His Holiness the Dalai Lama - this is one of the largest and most prominent areas of our bookstore. His words are pure Dharma and most of his books are written to be accessible to people at all levels of practice, from novice to advanced.
- Books by Lama Yeshe & Lama Zopa - the two founders of the FPMT have written many books, both for those new to Buddhism and those who are intermediate or more advanced.
- Books from the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive - these books are available on a dana, or donation, basis to help defer the cost of printing them. There is no set price, simply give whatever amount feels right to you. For more information please visit the LYWA website.
- Audio & Video Dharma - we also maintain a collection of Dharma books on Audiocassette and CD, as well as Daka/Dakini recordings from the monks and nuns at Kopan monastery and its sister nunnery, Khachoe Ghakyil. We even have some teachings available on VHS & DVD.
- Buddhist Biographies - read and learn about the inspiring lives of ancient masters and those practicing today!
- Advanced Subjects - for those more experienced students who are studying advanced practices. Note: Some of these books do require empowerment before they can be read.
- Books for Young Readers - traditional Tibetan folk tales or Jataka Tales make up most of this area. These highly illustrated books each offer a moral lesson and are great for introducing the young person you know to the teachings of the Buddha.
- General Interest Buddhism - everything that doesn't fit neatly into one of the above categories. Authors featured include the likes of Pema Chodron, Thubten Chodron, Jeffrey Hopkins, Robert Thurman and B. Alan Wallace (among many others).